Two months on enthusiasm about the newly launched rebreather courses is growing everyday. I am delighted to see that PADI members are eager to dive and teach rebreathers. Here is a step by step guide to becoming a PADI Rebreather Instructor or Instructor Trainer:
PADI Rebreather Instructors teach the PADI Rebreather Diver and PADI Advanced Rebreather Diver Courses on the specific unit they qualify on.
1. First Steps – becoming a rebreather diver and getting the pre-requisite experience:
a. Qualify as a PADI Advanced Rebreather Diver or equivalent on the specific rebreather you want to become a PADI Rebreather Instructor for.
b. Log 75 rebreather dives including at least 50 dives and 50 hours on the specific rebreather you aim to become an instructor for.
2. PADI Instructor Requirements – the PADI professional qualifications you need.
a. Teaching Status PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor or higher
b. PADI Enriched Air Nitrox Instructor
c. PADI Deep Diver Instructor
4. Medical Requirements:
Current diving medical clearance signed by a physician.
5. Additional requirements for Instructor Crossovers:
Current rebreather instructor on the specific unit with a recognised organisation.
6. Contact the manufacturer to make sure you meet any additional manufacturer requirements
7. Course Materials – what do you need to prepare for the program?
a. Purchase all required diver level materials from your regional PADI sales department:
PADI Rebreather Diver and Advanced Rebreather Diver Manual
PADI Rebreather Predive Checklist Slate
PADI Rebreather and Advanced Rebreather Diver Key Skills Video
b. You will receive the Instructor Guide and diver level exam during the instructor course but will need to purchase:
PADI Rebreather/Advanced Rebreather Diver Instructor wet guides
c. Have a copy of all the manufacturers materials:
Manufacturer’s manual and/or other support literature for rebreather used in course
Manufacturer’s checklist (if available)
8. Other requirements – Course Assist. This can be done before or after the instructor course or crossover. Crossover candidates who have taught a course through a recognised organisation may meet this requirement.
Prior to certification as a PADI Rebreather Instructor, the candidate must assist with at least one PADI Rebreather Diver course or one PADI Advanced Rebreather Diver course.
For more information on PADI Rebreather Courses please contact firstname.lastname@example.org